Friday, December 8, 2017

Step by Step Tutorial to Create a Christmas Outdoor Urn

Creating Festive Holiday Decor Outside can be simple and quick using empty urns you may already have from your summer annuals.  I hate looking at empty pots in the winter so filling them with some holiday cheer always makes me feel better when I step outside or pull in the driveway and catch a glimpse of a full beautiful Christmas Urn.  

Holiday Outdoor Greenery

First thing you will want to do is gather your supplies.  I used fir branches that were clipped from our Christmas tree to create this look.  You can also ask your local Christmas tree vendor if they have extra branches you can have, most won't mind you taking them since it's less they have to clean up. 

You can use any style of greenery you like, I have also done this look with Cedar branches, and they look great with mixed greenery too.  

You'll need some pruning shears to cut branches smaller if needed, and any embellishments you want for your look.  For mine I used pinecones, red berries, gold glitter branches, some mini bulb ornaments (these have wire on the ends so you can twist them around your branches to stay in place), and plaid ribbon. 

Christmas Urn supply list

For Step 1, If you haven't already, remove any dead annuals from your urn or clip back any perennials you may have planted.  

Empty Urn of Summer Annuals

Next place the largest branches in a fan shape flat on top of your urn to cover the front.  

Festive Holiday Outdoor Urns

Then i take my branches and separate them into 3 approximate sizes.  

Chrismtas Urn Branches

Then starting with the largest branches first and in the back I stick them in my urn vertically into the soil.  Then repeat this step with your medium branches working forward, and finally your shortest branches in front.  I keep my shortest branches 1/4 of the way back in my urn so that it creates a pocket to place my embellishments.  If you place your shortest branches all the way at the front of your urn you will have no space to put your pretty details. (I try to place these vertical branches between the forks of my flat laid branches from step 1 so that they help to keep them from blowing away in any wind.) 

Vertical Evergreen Branches

Then add your embellishments in the pocket you created.  My red berries and glitter branches have stakes that allow me to stick them into my soil, while my mini bulb ornaments and bows have wire that I twist around my desired branches.  

Evergreen filled outdoor urn

Then step back and enjoy your lively Christmas Urn.  

Festive Outdoor Plants


If you live in a location with a lot of snow like I do, then you may want to occasionally brush off any large amounts of snow so that the glitter branches and pinecones stay nice looking.  But small amounts of snow just add to the festive look I think.  

Outdoor Urn embellishments

Snowy Outdoor Greenery

Do you have any regular outdoor winter plantings or many outdoor urns to fill? 

Step by Step Christmas Urn Tutorial






No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.